Sunday, January 20, 2008

Debbie's Hair...in a slightly "Glamour-NOT"-kind of way

Once upon a time, a very cute baby girl was born to a very young couple. (Yes, that's my mom...NOT the babysitter!! Mom was doing the Mia Farrow look long before it was popular....and I'm just loving those glasses!!!! Serious!!) This picture of the little angel was taken at 5 months....it would be another 4 or 5 months before any hair would grow that could actually be seen with the naked eye!




And when that hair came in, it was very, very blond....very, very straight...and fine. (The baby in that "state-of-the-art" walker....those of us born in the early 60's are lucky to be alive and in one piece!!!......anyway...that baby is my brother and he also fell victim to the "no hair" gene in our family. Thirty-nine years later, it is causing him a problem once again!!!) This hairstyle, except for a few brave haircuts (see next picture) would be the style of choice until I was about 15, then, a young skater named Dorothy Hamill became famous and influenced a large number of us. No...I don't skate.


I would, on occasion, stay with my grandparents and attend church on Sunday with them. Having to look my very best, I can only imagine how much Dippity-Doo had to be put in my hair before wrapping it around the pink spongy curlers!! The cool thing about Grandma doing my hair was that she had one of those hair driers that you put the bag on your head and the hot air came through this really long tube....you could walk around and everything!!! I was such a big girl!! I think that this was also the time when my mom used to cut my bangs....but first she would put that pink tape on it to keep it straight. I'm thinking she got these.just. a. little. too. high.






Aaaaaahhhh....Senior pictures. Mrs. G.....I'll see your wings and feathers and raise you that fwooooofy action going across my forehead. Personally....I love this picture...the others (of which there were a bzillion!!) were okay...but this one was the best.



Fast Forward.....past university (all three of them!!), past the many strange and wonderful jobs I had....Finally finished university...went to South Texas to teach...you know..."to make a difference".....and spent the best 4 years of my life!! Down on the Border...dinner in Mexico was about 10 minutes by car....and on a good day, about 45 minutes from South Padre Island!!



This was taken during a hurricane...not sure which one...maybe in 1988. We all boarded up our own apartments and went to Chez Jay...a good friend with a second floor apartment...entrance into his refuge was some food, some alcohol and a bottle of water!! Obviously...due to the intense heat and humidity, I cut most of my hair off....but with also living so close to the beach, having a no-frills hair-style was necessary (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!) Personally....the only time I wear shorts that short anymore is when I sleep and now they are called "pajamas"! And if I"m not mistaken, those are actually a pair of men's boxer shorts...much to the chagrin of my mother and grandmothers....that was what I usually wore...OUT IN PUBLIC!!! Hey....it was the style then!!!

0 comments: