Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Divine Intervention? Good Karma? Freaky Coincidence?

Or...maybe just a great combination of all three??
Today did not start out to be a very good day....at all. I didn't sleep well last night worrying about the "Santa SOS" I had found myself in on Sunday evening.

Koji's daycare, which is attached to a Protestant Church, is having its annual Christmas Pageant this Saturday. (It's a good thing I know the story and the songs because it's all in Japanese!!! My grandfather thought that was so wonderful...."no matter where you are, there is God", he told me once. This year is Koji's last year, so he and his friends are the main characters....he is a Shepherd and he tells me that he has memorized his lines and he can sing the song. )

Anyway...after the pageant, of course we have a Santa come and deliver the presents (A small Christmas cake and a Christmas book)to all the kids.


As I am the "lone foreigner" in the daycare, and have been for quite a while, I am asked every year to help them find a Santa.
My data base of "foreigners of the male persuasion" has dwindled incredibly over the years, but...after doing some digging I did come up with a couple that agreed to help.

And then, on Sunday....one sent a message that he couldn't help due to a medical condition ("allergic to red felt and fake beards?", thought I.) and the other guy just plain backed out.


And then....Whoa! Time to panic. So last night I was on the phone to a couple of students who I know are in contact with foreigners and asked for their help.
This morning, due to a lack of sleep from "stress thoughts" invading my consciousness...."what if I wore the suit? Would the kids know?" and other questions rumbling around in my head...I was not a happy camper.


I dropped Koji off this morning and had some time before I had to get to class, so I went into the church for a little peace and quiet and time to gather my thoughts.
I go there sometimes for that....it's a beautiful place and no one bothers me.
I said a quick prayer for strength and guidance and a little help in that Santa Department....and went to my car.


My cell phone was ringing....it was the K-man...."call Mr.C. (one of my students)...he found you a Santa". (Can I get an Amen from someone?!?!)


Still giddy from that news, I skipped went to my class and when I got there, the two ladies who work there were all serious when they said "We need to talk to you about something."
Despite the "oh my God, I've got to find another class!" feeling that hit me, what they had to talk to me about was good....not great....no....absolutelyfreakingfantabulous....IF it all works out!!!


Now, I'm a big one for 'not tempting the powers that be' so I'm not going to tell you yet what it was all about....just believe that:
1. It was great to hear.
2. If this happens, it would mean that "dreams really do come true" because I've been thinking about doing this for 3 years!!!
3. I'm still probably not going to have much money, but....at least there is the possibility of a little more that what there is now.
The day was not going to be so bad after all.
And...tonight..before I went into the daycare to pick Koji up...I went back into the church...sat there for a bit..and said a quite "thank you".



And then....
to file away in the "Reasons we are so happy we met the K-man and married him" folder....tonight when Koji and I drove up to our house.....THIS is what we saw.....
No....those lights weren't there this morning when we left.


(The red lights are chili peppers!!)
And then.....I think I might have cried a little....THIS was just what I needed.
For a man who, every year will say how mendokusai ("bothersome") hanging the lights is...he does it. And he'll say that he does it for me...which is partly true, but.....though he will NEVER admit it....he likes them, too!!!
Here's wishing you a day of answered prayers and wonderful surprises!!!


15 comments:

Nancy said...

Some days are truly a wonderment!

I look forward to hearing the news when you can share it.

Love the chili pepper lights, lol

Mrs. G. said...

What a wonderful post to read!

Gina said...

What a happy, positive post. You brightened my day!

gina

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Amen. Amen, amen.

Helena said...

Wow, I won't even need my cosmic ordering cd!

jan in nagasaki said...

wow. what an amazing string of fabulous events!!!

can't wait to hear more details about your future plans!!!

smalltownme said...

Wonderful!

Ciara said...

you made me tear up, what a great ending to your day. So happy for you

Ciara

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I can't wait to hear the details. A great husband can't be beat!

Anonymous said...

What a great spark of good things, I am sure you had a twinkle in your eye at the end of the day. Good Luck on things to come.After all it is the season of miricales.
Shellie

Yolanda said...

Hope you have a Happy Christmas in Japan.

Ms. Lea said...

What a Fabulous Post! Looking forward to reading more!

Karen MEG said...

What an awesome day, Debbie! Now I'm REALLY curious, but I'll wait.

And the K-man is a real sweetheart.

This post really made my day. I've been needing it, believe me...

Janet said...

Oh, Debbie, I'm glad you came home to such a great surprise :-)

Mary Alice said...

Divine intervention is, in the truest sense of the word, awesome.