Monday, October 13, 2008

A day in the life...

A few days ago, I had agreed to "put myself out there" once again, along with quite a few of Mrs. G's peeps....this time the "assignment" was to give our readers a look into what an average day is like where we are.


Hmmmm...well....see...okay...this is how it is....ahmmmmm....could I have a day or two more to work on this??? Pleeeeeeeease?!



See...today was a holiday here in Japan...taiku no hi ("Sports Day") and the K-man, the boys, my mother-in-law and I spent the day in the car, driving to her sister's house, getting rice, letting turtles go, eating seasonal foods, looking at cosmos, buying some awesome bread, climbing a small mountain to see some almost 1200-year-old Buddha carvings, going to an onsen ("hot spring bath"), seeing more cosmos, checking on the turtles to make sure they were doing okay, back to Aunt Yoko's house, having tastes of the awesome bread, loading up the car, then driving back home again, taking Grandma to her house, going to the grocery store to buy ham and cheese for the incredible sandwiches we made with that awesome bread we bought earlier, looking at the pictures we took today and then....it was time for bed....and here we are.



It is almost midnight and I have yet to plan what I am going to do tomorrow for my classes (I have 3!!) I need to have at least a little something prepared!! My students expect that!

Please forgive me....I'll post about a regular day in the life of moi soon....Okay? okay.



But...until then....let me just post some quick pictures.....I hate to have people stop by and then have to leave without really getting anything....



The following pictures are in total random order because that's just how we do things sometimes here at Kamp Kuroiwa....the sooner you accept this concept, my good friends, the better we will all get along.....



Taking a break at the bread shop

It's rice harvest time and in this field, after being cut, the rice has been bundled up and stacked...for drying.

I do love the cosmos!!MMMMM....man, we do make a good samich...with dill pickles on the side!!
Soon....my lovely futon...soon......

Our lovely offspring...one happy and the one mad he got the seat in the sun. Life sucks sometimes...really it does...at least until we go in another direction!

Some incredibly "old guys", hanging out in the rocks.
Perfection.
"Come on already...quit your yapping and get in the car. Daylight's burning."
Which is basically what Issei told them. He was in a hurry to get back to...whatever!
The K-man's mom (on the right) and Aunt Yoko (I just love her!!).
Letting our 4 turtles go.....Swim--Be free--Don't forget us!!!

And with that....I bid you adieu and wish you all a wonderful kind of Monday! Good night....oyasumi nasai.

13 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

What a wonderful day. Your boys are so handsome. From my vantage point, your life looks very nice.

Gina said...

Oh Debbie! What a beautiful day. It may not be every day in your life but it was a day... and a great one at that. Thank you for letting me tag along.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

"climbing a small mountain to see some almost 1200-year-old Buddha carvings, going to an onsen ("hot spring bath"....this is what I love about reading blogs from around the world. This sounds like a perfectly wonderful day. And love those cosmos. They are beautiful.

3rdEyeMuse said...

that sounds like a most excellent day in the life ... a field of cosmos - so very pretty.

ps - tag, you're it!

smalltownme said...

I think that was a lovely day.

I typically forgot about my typical day post, so it will be late!

Who asked you? said...

It is funny how even if you are doing just average stuff it seems more interesting just because you are in Japan.

ms. bliss said...

what a fabulous day! I love the pics!

Helena said...

What a lovely day!

PS. I'd be annoyed too if I got the seat in the sun.

shrink on the couch said...

This is the first I've seen rice harvested. I've seen rice paddies (kinfolk in southern Louisiana) but wondered how it went from soggy fields to .. well .. rice.

How tall are those rice bundles?

Jen said...

What fun. Those are beautiful cosmos. My son too, does not like the sunny side of the car. Oh well. Thanks for sharing.

The Girl Next Door said...

Gorgeous photos and love the pix of the boys. Thanks for sharing!

Emily said...

Beautiful! How fun to click through Mrs. G's links and experience a day in so many different countries and landscapes and seasons.

This is beautiful! (Love the turtles.)

Grandy said...

Good job toots!! :)

Whew...ya made me tired. ;)