Sunday, June 28, 2009

just a thought.....

Watching this last season's American Idol, I had to chuckle about all the brouhaha concerning Adam Lambert and his obvious love of all things cosmetic. From his "guyliner" to the black nail polish (that "shocked" Randy Travis!!)....Adam never failed to entertain. Oh yeah...and he can sing, too.
Though this might have been a bit much for 'small town America' to handle....from an "entertainment" point of view--he pulls this look off very well, also.
One group of students and I were talking about why this was such a big deal. The idea that in America, where anything seems to be acceptable, a man wearing make-up could cause such a discussion among so many, was really very interesting.

Now...from a Japanese point of view....a man wearing make-up...
not such a big deal.
And...I don't know if you are familiar with Japanese entertainers or not, but on television...at any time of the day...you are bound to see one of these men or any number of the others like them on pretty much any kind of program you turn on.





Yeah.....they make Adam seem pretty harmless, don't they?



I have to admit that when the whole "guyliner" thing came out, I thought of an episode of Friends.....enjoy!!




Adam....come to Japan. We're okay with your look. You'll fit right in with the rest of the boys!

*Pictures....thanks to GoogleImages.

7 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Who knew Japan was so progressive?

Laura/CenterDownHome said...

Heh heh. I'm listening to Adam on itunes, right now. I love that he's so comfortable with himself. I hope I'll be that centered when I grow up. :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Most of the rock star guys wear makeup...big woop. :)
I forgot about the friends episode. I love it!!!

Grandy said...

Um...Hi...Remember POISON? HAHA!!

stephanie said...

America is awfully weird, indeed. I don't know how we stand ourselves sometimes.

The only thing that bugs me about crossdressers is when they look hotter than I do...

Yarni Gras! said...

omgosh! How did I miss that episode! That is laugh your a** off funny! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!

T. said...

Frick that was great!