Wednesday, June 03, 2009

I'll take "Stress" for 100, Alex.

I had to chuckle when I saw this over at http://www.someecards.com/ .....

...because, really.....that's pretty much going to be me this summer when I come to the States.
Then...I found out that, my mom? Yeah...she pimped me out at a party....which got me to thinking,
"Hey....she might have something there."

So....whaddya think?
****************

Right now I have about a gazillion thoughts and ideas running around in my head and they are all mooshing together....I'm really having a hard time getting my "ducks all in a row", such that they are. (Did that even make any sense...at all?? sheesh. I'm not safe to drive!)


On Monday, there was a bit of a "This is your travel agent and oh, I'm sorry, but, your credit card isn't working, could you call the Visa company?"
Try not to stress a bit over that kind of thing...go on....I dare you.
After I called the company ("No, there's no trouble here...it must be on the end of the travel agent."), I called my mom and got another credit card lined up and was going to figure out how to wire money in case we needed to resort to that.....then I called the travel agent back on Tuesday morning and went over the numbers again...slowly...in both Japanese and English....about 2 hours later she called back and "Oh, it's okay."

Holy Hell. I don't need this kind of stress.


Funny thing about the tickets though? Yeah...on the itinerary it has us flying into "Denver-Stapleton".
Now...I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Denver area but....Stapleton Airport? Yeah...they closed that puppy down about 1995....it's gone...maybe it's an ice skating rink and shopping center, I'm not sure...I do know that it. is. no. longer. there.
My cousin, who works at the real airport, was cracking up.
I have lined up people in case they are needed to help cause a diversion and stop traffic, you know...if the plane has to land right there in the middle of Quebec Street. You might want to stay close to CNN on July 16, just in case....I'm thinking there's a HUGE possibility for a story here.


I'm also about to do something that I have been thinking about for a very long time....something I've been wanting to do but never had, if you'll pardon the expression, the balls to be, you know, like Nike and just DO IT.....well, I found 'em and I'm going to do it.


I'm being creative in trying to find something that will encourage students to study with me.


Now....since I don't have a Master's Degree, I'm not qualified to teach at the university level.

I am not a big fan of teaching kids. If they want to learn, then I will think about it, but if Mom is the one who wants them to learn? No....sorry, but I can help you find someone else who has a lot more patience than me.

I spent 10 years teaching at the high school level (the last 2 were basically in Hell!) and I'm seriously thinking that there is not enough yen in the world to make me go back to that...(but not to completely burn that bridge, you never can tell...I might someday get over the trauma...not from the students, mind you, but from the other teachers, administration and bureaucracy and go back.)

I've spend the last 5 years being, basically, self-employed. I like being my own boss. But as there are many others here doing the same thing...oh, not as well as moi, mind you...but still...it's pretty competitive.

So....I'm trying something new.

I'm starting a new class that will be held in a place where I already rent the room for classes a couple times a week.
The idea of this class is different, maybe for Nagasaki, though I do know of a couple other people NOT in Nagasaki that are doing something similar.

I'm offering a 2-hour class, once a month (with a choice of two available dates) that will include a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere for English conversation with a beverage, something to eat and chatting time on a different main topic each month.


The first class is Friday and I have 5 ladies signed up, so far. I have received phone calls from a few others sayng that they are thinking about it.
The theme of the day is "Patio Time".
I'm serving something that I do so love to eat while sitting on the patio with friends and since there will be no alcoholic beverages (damn!), I'm making some 'fruit tea' to drink and then possibly there will be something sweet to eat to finish up. As my mind is a'jumble, I haven't completely decided on that part yet.


Wish me luck and I'll let you know on Friday night how it went.

16 comments:

Janet said...

That's similar to what I did when I lived in Japan :-) It was fun, really!

Moxy Jane said...

Whew!! Now, MY brain is all a jumble! Just kidding - it was all a jumble way before reading all this!

First of all - I hope everything works out for your trip back to the States. I know how important this visit is and I'm sure trying to tie it all together will be nothing short of a miracle. Deep breathing and shaking your hula money maker will help!!

Second, your class idea sounds fantastic! I would love to find something like that for learning a second language for me and my kids! And I know a BUTTload of homeschooling families who would, too. SO, if you're ever back in the US of A and looking to settle in Austin, TX, you can start a Japanese Patio Chat class!

Moxy Jane

Nancy said...

Whew, lotsa stuff!

I think you have it under control ... just add a hula skirt and margaritas and all things will work fine =)

<3

Ms. Lea said...

Good Luck! Sounds like Fun!

Gina said...

It's going to all work out just fine! Attitude is 90% of a vacation and you always have a great attitude. Margaritas can smooth over the other 10%.

Your class sounds fantastic. Zane's French teacher would love it if she could do something like that with her students but, alas, high school students are more interested in grades than they are in the art of conversation.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I hope your travel plans from here on out are uneventful and easy....good luck with your new group. It sounds like it will be a success!!!

Susan said...

Woo Hoo! It is final then, patio time here we come!!! Can't wait. The whole Stapleton thing is really funny. We (Bill and I) will be in San Fran for our 30th anniv. trip, but be home the 25th.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Deb,
I would love to sign up for the Patio Time class, wish I lived closer. Glad to hear things for the trip home are starting to work out. Shellie

3rdEyeMuse said...

much luck & tons of fun with your new class adventure!! If I were there, I'd TOTALLY be in!!

The Girl Next Door said...

I'm sorry, I had to clean up the wine-spew after "pimping me out" and "will hula for margaritas...." and oh BTW? There is a margarator machine RIGHT HERE IN DC and a spare room with YOUR NAME ON IT. Oh I know I know you have to go to nowheres-ville-denver-something something. But really, would a layover in DC be so bad???

OH and my mother asked me tonight, when she realized I am LEAVING MONDAY and still don't have a place to sleep for MOST OF OUR TRIP TO SPAIN, "Why didn't you call a travel agent?" What and miss out on the thrills of navigating foreign language "hotelius.com" sites? Where's the adventure in that? So no, no travel agent for us. Just winging it. But now I have an idea... "will play soccer for wine" ought to work just fine in that country....

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I think Patio Time and a Circle of Friends should be the theme for your visit!

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Okay, I'm emailing you a sparkling lemonade recipe that is nonalcoholic and delicious. Perfect for this kind of thing. Sounds like a fun class.

Ciara said...

thats a brilliant idea best of luck with it, I hope it takes off for you.

shrink on the couch said...

Excellent idea! The group chat. I have a friend who used to be fluent in Spanish but didn't get the opportunity to speak it often enough. She would have loved something like this.

Helena said...

That is such a brilliant idea! Like a conversations class with a bevvie. I used to go to something similar practising my Spanish (now non-existing) and really enjoyed it.

I know what you mean about competition! I'm experiencing the same both with my complementary therapies and when I'm trying to book jewellery stands at festivals. Good for you that you've found something that's new in Nagasaki. I'm sure it will be a success!

Yarni Gras! said...

although I read the whole post and genuinely enjoyed it, my mind keeps drifting back to the dancing picture......yep