Friday, January 08, 2010

...oh...and a recipe you might possibly thank me for

Is anyone else out there suffering from blogstipation? I tell ya. I sit here at the computer some days and....I know I have thoughts and things to say...I just can't get them from my head to the keyboard. I spend more time going through all the pictures I need to organize....notice I said need to organize....I don't actually do any organizing. I'm too busy just looking.
~~sheesh~~
**************

A while back, one of my students informed me that her husband was going to Las Vegas for a medical conference. She also slyly asked me, "Where do you think he is staying?"
Immediately noticing the twinkle in her eyes, I answered, "The Flamingo Hotel?"
She just smiled.
And then this was me: o(^-^o)(o^-^)o o(^-^o)(o^-^)o
dancing...but not really..... just in my head!!!!

Then I was reaching into my bag to pull out the emergency American money I had in my wallet. (What? You never know! I might have to leave like....NOW. What weird stuff do YOU have in YOUR bag? huh?!)
I handed her some cash and said, "I don't care what it is...just ask him to please, pleeease bring me something back."
She very calmly pushed the money away and told me that basically, my money was no good...but she would tell him how freaking crazy about fond of flamingos I was.
Fast forward a few weeks......
I got a bag with a Christmas version hand towel and a paper weight from the Las Vegas Flamingo Hotel.
(The coffee cup is mine! It's new!!)

I'm pretty lucky to have good friends (some with really sweet husbands!!)

Sometimes, I just have to be reminded of this.

********************

My mom has a hobby. She knits. It's a relatively new hobby and one that she has worked very hard at. She started a couple of years ago at the church. Someone was teaching a group of the ladies how to knit once or twice a week and then their goal was to make "prayer shawls" to send to people near and far who just might need a little comfort.

Knitting was not an easy thing for my Mom to do, but....she kept it up, dammit....and she, my sister-in-law and I all have scarves of varying styles and sizes to prove it.

I love my scarves. Not only are they warm, look really nice, but....my mom made them, so that in of itself, makes them so much more special.

This summer, when I was in Colorado, she gave me a small blanket that she had knitted. It's not so much of a blanket blanket, as it is a "something to put on your lap when you're watching TV on a cold night" kind of thing.

It's soft....and warm....and on a cold night, it's wonderful to throw over my shoulders and snuggle down on the sofa as I watch a movie or work on my computer.

And she said it really wasn't very big, but.....I have to tell you....

....it's the perfect size.
Thanks, Mom. You're the best.
********************

I grew up with a grandma who made bread once a week...faithfully. With another grandma, I learned a few secrets here and there and she and I could whip up some damn good cinnamon rolls when we wanted to. I loved the whole process of mixing it all together...kneading the dough...letting it rise...and then smelling it as it was baking. Those first slices, as the loaf was almost too hot to touch, slathered with real butter were absolutely delicious.

When I have the time, I like to do that, but....very rarely (okay...never!) do I have the time. Yes, I could get a bread maker, and I have had one, but it broke a long time ago and I've just never gotten around to replacing it.
And now....now that I've rediscovered a recipe for one of my favorite breads, I'll probably never get one.

If you like homemade bread and like me, don't really have a lot of time, then this particular bread is for you. Even if you say, "Oh, I can't bake anything....I'm terrible.", this bread will redeem you and give you the confidence you need.

If you have about an hour....some flour, a can of beer and a few other ingredients, you can make a most delicious loaf of bread. It goes great with soups (we had Chicken Tortilla Soup..yumm!) and is good toasted in the morning!
I'm not sure where I got this recipe, but, it's one that I have used for a very long time. Give it a try....you might be surprised.

Beer Bread
3 cups flour...SIFTED
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
*if using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt*
1/4 cup sugar
1 (12 ounce) can of beer
1/4-1/2 cup melted butter or margarine

Preheat oven to 375 degree. Mix dry ingredients and beer. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Pour melted butter over mixture. Bake 45 minutes-1 hour, remove from pan and cool a bit before cutting.

*Seriously....SIFT the flour. You MUST do that. If you don't, your bread is liable to be "hard as a rock". Really....just sift it. Please.
*Different kinds of beer will give you a different taste. Be creative. Cheap beer? Works great!!
*I have also added different herbs to the flour...rosemary or basil are both good. I might have also at one time put Parmesan cheese...I've made a note on the recipe that it was "goooooood".
*I couldn't find my loaf pan the other night, so I just used a small round cake pan.
*I don't melt the butter. I just put little pats of butter all over the top before I put it in the oven.

************
Have a great weekend. I wish you something that keeps you warm on the cold winter days...something like hot, buttered bread....or a nice, warm blanket...and children snuggled in with you!!!

11 comments:

smalltownme said...

You had a lot to say! I'm going to try that beer bread!

Susan said...

I love the prayer shawl, I have yet been lucky enough to receive one, but they presented one to Lindsey when she graduated from college. I think it is so special that the ladies make them with love, and then the whole congregation blesses them. Getting one from your mom is really special!

Janet said...

Oh, I <3 beer bread! And that flamingo towel is wicked pretty :-)

Nancy said...

mhm, blogstipation, it happening over at my place too!

Maybe some of that beer bread is what I need!

Busy Bee Suz said...

For someone with blogstipation, you must have come un clogged. :)
Love all your little tid bits of joy and the bread looks great.
I have been using my bread maker and making homemade soup all week. YUMMY.

Jason, as himself said...

Well, for someone suffering from blogstipation, you managed to push out quite a lot! Good for you.

I do suffer from it as well from time to time, but I am so embarrassed about it that I don't ever mention it.

Then everything clears up and I suddenly blog several times in one day. True.

T. said...

Keeping warm with a Mom-made snuggie and some beer bread sounds just about like heaven to me. :-)

Yarni Gras! said...

oh my, I love that towel! Everytime I see a flamingo now, I think of YOU!

Gina said...

Beer bread sounds really yummy! Perfect for a drippy cold day.. I think I'm going to whip some up to serve with potato soup tonight!

Oh... and what weird things do I have in my purse? I have one Soviet rouble.. not only is it no longer recognized currency but have I never been to Russia.. and don't plan to go in the future.. My mother in law gave it to me about fifteen years ago and it's been in my purse ever since.

Shellie said...

Just had to share something about Rhian, when they found out they were pregnant he taught himself to crochet. He has crocheted Julianna 2 afghans, a stocking cap and her and Heather both scarves. And get this he does it at work (metal fab shop...all guys) during his lunch and breaks. That is truely amazing how he makes things for the 2 most things in his life and they are also made with sooooo much love. Shellie

Hula Girl at Heart said...

I'm excited about the bread recipe. I love to make bread. I just don't have much time for it. This is perfect. Thanks!