Sunday, January 31, 2010

"A great example showing you why it is I don't go clothes shopping here in Japan"...by debbie

Here is a new t-shirt that I (and the other ladies in our hula class) spent about $20 to purchase.
Knowing that sizes here run a incredibly freaking bit smaller than what I need to buy, I opted for the largest they offered...and that was a 3L.
(I was not the only one to order this size, two other "slightly rounder" of the ladies also ordered that size!)

Now....for some comparison....here are two of my favorite t-shirts...they are both just a little big...but they both fit very nicely.
The gray is an XL....the pink is a L and the black? Yes, a 3L. (an XXL, perhaps?)


And people wonder why, when I go to the States, I take with me an almost empty suitcase.

Hmmm...even if I were to somehow miraculously lose enough weight to fit into that, I'm thinking my bones would have to be gone and I wouldn't be able to stand up, let alone dance the hula so.....
I can see myself, in the next few days, cutting out the designs and putting them onto another American sized,
black t-shirt....that I bought last summer....probably with the premonition that I would be needing exactly that color.
Well...it's not like I haven't done that before!
And if you are sitting there, reading this and shaking your head saying, "Jeez Louise, Debbie....when will you ever learn? It's not like you haven't lived there for 18 years! Where's your head woman?"..... go right ahead. I deserve it.
~~sigh~~
****************
Thanks everyone for the "feel better" thoughts on Friday. They helped...they really did!!
I spent most of Saturday on the sofa....and today was one of those how-long-can-you-stay-in-your-pj's kind of day (until 2:30) and the only time I left the house was when I went outside to hang out laundry and then again when I brought it back in a few hours later...and even then, I only went into the back yard. It was a great day!!
Oh...and by the way....I don't have a neti pot but after some Googling, I found an alternative to the actual pot (a small soap bottle..rinsed many, many, many times!!) and I think it actually might have helped. I know it made my breathing feel much better.
I will continue using it....Issei has even started doing it and his breathing seems a little better!!
(He has a terrible time breathing sometimes...we're hoping this clears that up!!)


7 comments:

smalltownme said...

That looks like a child's size t-shirt.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I have a tiny friend who can't go shopping in the area closest to us--all the Filipino women buy the x-small and small sizes. She has to go to an area of town where the women are a little larger and all the x-smalls are hanging on the rocks.

shrink on the couch said...

I think some of the stores in the USA are using Asian size form models. And tennis shoes, especially, seem to be getting more and more snug.

jlo said...

Man! It would be hard not to get a complex!! ;)

jan in nagasaki said...

shopping for clothes in Japan is fucking depressing..... so i feel your pain.....and wear mens clothes...

Anonymous said...

oh, i shopping would be no fun if i had to suddenly buy these (by the label) big sizes.... wonder how you manage....

franzi

Hula Girl at Heart said...

I love my neti pot. It looks a little crazy but it works! Glad you're doing better.

Surely not all of the Japanese women are that tiny. Yikes.